Index of Surnames from the Ships and Seafarers of Atlantic Canada, CD-ROM. St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada: Maritime History Archive, Memorial University of Newfoundland, 1998.
This is a fully searchable database containing data on the vessels, captains and crews of Great Britain and Atlantic Canada, 1787-1935. This index-only collection contains records of crew members, masters, and ship owners for vessels registered in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island. The collection comprises several sources from the Maritime History Archive in Newfoundland & Labrador. It is fully searchable by name, and other particulars and the records include a wealth of information including birth and residence, rank, voyage departure and arrival places and dates, vessel name and registration, and even wages and deaths at sea.
Records for the following ports are included:
- Miramichi, New Brunswick (1828–1914)
- Richibucto, New Brunswick (1880–1914)
- Saint John, New Brunswick (1820–1914)
- St. John’s, Newfoundland (1820–1936)
- Halifax, Nova Scotia (1812–1889)
- Sydney, Nova Scotia (1820–1914)
- Pictou, Nova Scotia (1820–1914)
- Windsor, Nova Scotia (1849–1914)
- Yarmouth, Nova Scotia (1840–1914)
- Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island (1787–1914)
- birth year
- residence place
- voyage departure date & port
- voyage arrival date & port
- date joined present ship
- discharge date
- discharge description
- vessel name, type, registration place, year constructed
Details you may find in the records include:
The Maritime History Archive will research some of the records in its custody and provide reports and/or copies of documents on request for a fee. For more information on this collection and the Archives’ research services, visit the MHA website.