New Zealand City & Area Directories, 1866–1955. Microfilm publication, 921 fiche. Anne Bromell Collection, BAB Microfilming. Auckland, New Zealand.
Contained in this database is a collection of city and area directories for New Zealand, from 1866 to 1955. Each directory contains several sections: street, county, alphabetical name, commercial, professional, advertisements, and index. The alphabetical name directory is the most useful for researching ancestors as it lists the name of each head of household with their district or city of residence. Often their occupations and/or street addresses will also be listed. The street directory has the same information for households but is organized by city and street; the commercial and professional directories contain information on businesses and companies.
The majority of this collection is comprised of the Wise's New Zealand Post Office Directory. Although unauthorized, it was a commercial endeavor sanctioned by the Post Office and published by Henry Wise & Co., Dunedin. It covered all of New Zealand and was the first national postal directory of householders published nearly every year or two years from 1872 to 1955.
Information in this Database:
- Surnames li>
- Street addresses li>
- Districts/cities of residence li>
- Professional listings li>
- Commercial addresses li>
Why Use Directories:
Directories are extremely useful for locating people in a particular place and time. They are excellent census substitute records. If you have traced an ancestor through several years of directories and they then disappear, it likely means that the individual either moved or died. The advertisements and professional or commercial sections of the directory can also help you learn more about your ancestor’s occupation and may lead you to other occupational records.
Directories Presently Included:
This database currently includes directories for the following years. Those marked by asterisk have been indexed. Others are image-only:
- Wise's New Zealand Post Office Directory: 1866-67*, 1872-73*, 1875-76, 1878-79*, 1880-81, 1883-84*, 1885-86, 1887-88*, 1890-91, 1892-93*, 1894-95, 1896-97, 1898-99*, 1900, 1901*, 1902, 1903, 1904*, 1905, 1906, 1907*, 1908, 1909, 1910*, 1911, 1912, 1913*, 1914, 1915, 1916*, 1917, 1918, 1919, 1920*, 1921, 1922, 1923*, 1924, 1925, 1926*, 1927, 1928, 1930*, 1931, 1933*, 1934, 1936, 1938*, 1940, 1942*, 1943, 1946, 1947*, 1950-51*, 1953-54, 1955
- Stone's Otago & Southland Directory: 1907*, 1909, 1915
- Steven's & Bartholomew's New Zealand Directory: 1886
Help preserve historical records for generations to come. Join the Ancestry World Archives Project, a collaborative effort involving thousands of people around the world keying digital records to make them free for everyone. Anyone can join, and you decide how much time you’ll contribute - as little as 15 minutes helps. Learn more.
To search the entire collection of New Zealand records, click here.